Thursday, April 23, 2009

Settling In at Home

Yesterday morning Eric and I were staring down at our little Gabriela and he turned to me and said, "You know, I think it's not actually going to sink in that she's ours until we get her home." I admitted that I had just been thinking "Holy cow - they're actually going to let us take her with us when we leave!"

They released us from the hospital at 11:00 yesterday and by the time we were all packed up and home it was about noon.

The princess is sleeping great for us - so long as someone is holding her. She's not a big fan of her bassinet quite yet. So Eric and I spent last night taking turns with her. She is absolutely content in our arms or laying on our chests, but put her down and she is none to happy! We'll have to break her of that eventually if we ever want good sleep ourselves, but for now we're enjoying our little cuddle-bug!

All ready to leave the hospital

Home Sweet Home



Gabriela was impressed with her new digs. Well, as impressed as one can be while sleeping through the whole thing.


Daddy gave her first at-home bath this afternoon. When he flipped her over to wash her back she pulled up her knees and started crawling/swimming like crazy. It was hilarious!



All clean and happy


And here's a little something for the grandparents: A video of her first at-home bath. (She cried a lot less at home than she did when the nurse bathed her in the hospital! I think Daddy was a lot gentler than that mean ol' nurse. hehehe)




7 comments:

Beth O. said...

So cute! Glad to see you are back home and everyone is healthy!

Tony said...

When she was getting her bath and showing her displeasure, she definitely looked like her Mom! :) Actually I think she has a little of both of you. Can't wait to get my hands on her!

Dad

Amanda said...

I know I'm not a grandparent but thank you for the video!! She is sooooooo cute, I could just jump thru the screen and mash her! WHY do y'all have to live so far down south??!!

Priscila said...

Hello, Emily and Eric!

My name is Priscila and I'm a brazilian living in England with my english husband. I came accross ur blog about 2 weeks ago and I'm having a great time following ur adventure in my country of Brasil. It's very interesting to see life in Brasil through foreign eyes and I'm having a lovely time in reading ur blog.
First and foremost, congrats on ur lovely baby girl! She's gorgeous and I whish all the best to ur new family:)
I would also like to hear a little bit more about ur experience in going through a whole pregnancy in a foreign country, far from ur family. Was it difficult not having ur family around in such a special moment of ur life or u coped just well?
The reason why I'm asking this is because my husband and I have been thinking about a baby, but the idea to go through a whole pregnancy on my own, I mean, withouth any relatives around, apart from my husband, kind of "scares" me a bit as I would love to have my parents around in this particular moment of life, so I'd love to hear how it worked out for u guys, what u would do different and how was the whole experience for you.
I'd also love to hear more about ur baby's birth, the drug and intervention-free process, was it worth it, would you do it again?
I can imagine u must be pretty busy at the moment, but I'm sure all ur readers would love to hear how was the magic moment of giving birth, 100% naturally, to ur beautiful baby. I can't wait to hear the whole story :)
I've become a big fan of your blog!
All the best to you guys!
Priscila

Dianne said...

Such a marvelously beautiful little bundle...and, to come into a household where so much love lives. She is blessed and so are her parents. May God continue to shine on your family.

Anonymous said...

Your site is SO neat and I love catching up with you two...now three! Many congratulations...everyone looks fantastic. Gabriela is extremely beautiful! She's a lucky little girl. Can't wait to see you again! With love, Cheryl Nelsen

Jo said...

I'd love to know the story of her name! :)

How did you come up with it? Does it have a meaning?

Congratulations to ya'll!

Jo