Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Sound and Smell of Rain

If you turn on your speakers and play this video, you will hear what I heard yesterday . . .



Ahhhh, the sound of rain. A good hard rain, which is the only kind that exists here in Belo Horizonte. The kind that turns the sides of my street into rivers that look like they might wash away the cars parked there.

About February this year, I didn't think I would ever like the rain again. Something about rain six out of seven days during the week for a couple months straight tends to do that to people, I guess. But yesterday the bright blue sky was overtaken with dark ominous clouds and a good hour of hard rain followed. I cracked my windows so I could smell the wet air and listen to the rain. I wanted to take a nap, but resisted and was actually productive with my day.

It occurred to me yesterday that I haven't seen a drop of rain in BH since sometime in May, and even then it only rained once or twice and only for a few minutes. I really haven't seen any good amount of rain since March, I think. (I heard it did rain a little one day back in June, but it was while we were on vacation.) The seasons here are so crazy! How it goes from raining practically everyday for three months and then just completely turns off one day and doesn't rain again for months . . . it's just amazing.

We should have gotten enough yesterday to make everything green up and throw some plants into a full bloom just in time for our visitors! Perfect! I just hope the rain will go away again now and not come back during this dry season I've been encouraging everyone to come enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, the last day of rain was on april, 24th.