Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Food and Travel

I love it when my two favorite things take center stage in my life.

Since Jared has been here, we've taken this opportunity to eat out every single night. (I'm blaming it on the need to share Brasil's culture with our guest.) So far, we've been to some of our favorite places to enjoy the fine cuisine: Adega do Sol, Rancho do Boi, Vale Verde, and Bar Ideal. We also threw the very un-Brasilian Outback into the mix on Monday since they just opened up in our city and we hadn't been there yet. The bacon cheese fries, bloomin' onion, and hot wings were a nice change of pace too for a night! Tonight we plan on heading out to Baby Beef (another great churrascaria.) So far, our evenings have revolved solely around where we are going to eat. I kind of like it that way. (My hips, not so much though.)

This week, between meals, we have been busy finalizing plans for a weekend beach trip too. We've heard great things about Búzios in the state of Rio de Janeiro ever since we arrived in Brasil. When Jared mentioned he'd like to spend a weekend at the beach, we figured it would be as good of a time as ever to head that way. We take off Friday evening on an overnight bus, arrive at 6:30 Saturday morning and come back to Belo Horizonte Sunday night, arriving at 7:00 am Monday. Sun, sand, and surf are three things I just can't ever get too much of. And combined with all the fabulous food we've been indulging in, well, life is pretty grand! (I must admit some concern about donning the bikini after this rather gluttonous week though!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We spent a weekend in Buzios and Cabo Frio when I went to Brazil, and it was a great weekend getaway. I think Jared will enjoy it! Especially if he wants to try surfing (there were some huge waves on some of the beaches). I bought my first pair of Havaianas there in a store that sold nothing but flip-flops...interesting.

Anonymous said...

We spent a weekend in Buzios and Cabo Frio when I went to Brazil, and it was a great weekend getaway. I think Jared will enjoy it! Especially if he wants to try surfing (there were some huge waves on some of the beaches). I bought my first pair of Havaianas there in a store that sold nothing but flip-flops...interesting.

Anonymous said...

Baby Beef is my brother-in-law's favorite place to go. Try as I might I can't keep up with him in eating so much beef.

Ray Adkins said...

Emily,

Plant some tomato plants on your balcony, the chemicals in the tomato plants are suppose to keep the pigeons away.
And you won't feel guilty :)

Crystal said...

Emily- you'll have to post how the bus ride went. Sometimes when I pass buses between Minas and Sao Paulo, they look like they will tip over at every turn! They are really high up or something.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

I've heard good things about it too. Enjoy your trip! You all are so much braver than I. I just can't do the overnight bus trips. I know a ton of people here who take them regularly to Sao Paulo and Curitiba though.