Monday, October 6, 2008

A Special Request

Dear Internet Users:

For the love of all that is good and holy, please, please, please let's not make mention of things like Krispy Kreme for the remaining 27 weeks of my pregnancy, okay? Fellow blogger, excellent photographer, mommy to some adorable munchkins, and girlie I used to go to church with for a bit while I was in college, Amber, decided to post some photos and stories about her family's Krispy Kreme outing on her blog last week. Over the course of the subsequent 5 days, all I could think about was a hot, soft, sweet, tantalizing doughnut melting in my mouth with all of it's sugary goodness.

I have received lots of questions lately about whether or not I've had any cravings. And usually my answer is that I have not for anything too particular, anyway. But the doughnuts, oh how the doughnuts changed all that!

Given that I've never seen a doughnut in Brasil, much less a HOT doughnuts NOW sign illuminated over the mecca that is Krispy Kreme, I finally decided to take matters into my own hands. Because it was either that or eat everything I could find containing yeast, flour, and sugar for the next 27 weeks trying to find a fix for this Krispy Kreme calling.

I scoured the internet for a recipe that could produce something comparable to the Krispy Kreme goodness I enjoyed throughout my childhood. I finally found it, a recipe called Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts. Oh yes, nice . . . very nice.

Yesterday evening, I got to work on my masterpiece. I changed the icing from the suggested butter-filled recipe given to just a simple sugar, vanilla, and hot water glaze. (I like to be healthy and all, you know.)

And one nice big messy, greasy, sticky kitchen and 26 hot, steamy, glazed doughnuts later, I had this . . .




Hey, I said there were 26 doughnuts. Please stop trying to count them, okay? I mean there really were 26 doughnuts (despite the recipe only promising me 18 of them!) And I'm not sure why there are less than 15 in my refrigerator right now.

I am totally going to blame it on this guy though.

But hey, anyway, what I'm trying to say is that until I find a pregnant-American-woman-living-in-Brasil filter for online content, let's try to keep the food-I-can't-easily-gain-access-to talk to a minimum. Can we all agree to that please? And that's going to include Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I like real, homemade mac n cheese, not the boxed stuff; but for some reason here lately I've wanted it unlike anything else . . . except for maybe Krispy Kreme.

Thanks so much for your cooperation,
Emily . . . the soon to be whale

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am very impressed by your doughnut making skills!! They look amazing! And now I want Krispy Kreme after your ever so detailed and tantilizing descreption. And my diet definetly excludes Krispy Kreme. Damn.

Anonymous said...

When I was pregnant, I sucked down endless Nehi Grape drinks. Never had one before, nor since. Pregnancy is all too weird.

Cherie

Ray Adkins said...

Emily,

Just so you know there are several Doughnut chains in Sao Paulo, including Dunkin Donuts, even at the Sao Paulo International Airport, just in case you fly anywhere going thru Sao Paulo you can find Dunkin Donuts there...but I know Krispy Kreme is just a whole other ball game...however your doughnuts look so great!


Ray

Aline Tanaka Leonardo- Portfolio said...

Hi Emily,

You might have a little problem when you come to the U.S. Here in California they closed almost all the Krispy Kreme stores. Now I can just find doughnuts in the regular grocery stores. I do miss so much that hot glaze sugar doughnut. I could eat a dozen of them right now :) If i find some at the airport in Texas when i travel to Brazil, i will keep in mind to bring a box for you
Have a good week!!

Elaine said...

hahahaha. Talking about Krispy Kreme Doughnuts... my husband was craving some last week. The only store they had in Tucson went out of business a couple of years ago, and once in w while I hear him saying he would do anything for a Krispy Kreme Doughnut... hmmm, could he be pregnant?

Rogério Penna said...

there were Dunkin Donuts stores all over Brazil. I guess several of them closed. Too expensive.

Anyway Emily, I would like you started TRANSLATING these traditional american recipes to "brazilian portuguese and measures".

You post lots of good stuff but it doesnt help much when its measured in ounces and stuff :)

You could maybe in fact create an entirely new blog just with recipes, in portuguese, of the traditional american food you made here in Brazil, including of course the ingredients you had to replace... etc... that is... adapt such recipes to Brazil.

That includes not only donuts, but also the mexican food!

Anonymous said...

For the translating of mesurements, nothing beats the Joy of Cooking. An ounce is 28.35 grams, a liquid cup 250ml. You have to be not only creative with substitutions but good at math to translate recipes. I really good friend of mine sent me an awesome care package when I was pregnant full of things I love (cream-style corn, dried cranberries, etc.) and just cannot find in Brazil. It was all non-perishible and made it through customs no problem. I have seen mac n cheese at Carrefour - if I see some I will grab you a few boxes!!

Anonymous said...

Emily:
We still have Krispy Kreme in Athens. We'll plan a visit when you come home for Christmas:) Can't wait!

Dad

Emily said...

Thanks everyone for all the sympathy! ;)

Aceshigh: Thanks for the idea! I've actually been thinking of something sort of along those lines. I would like to start a new project in January before the baby comes; I am going to have to keep your suggestion in mind!

My first idea was to translate my recipes into Brasil-friendly ones for expats and such. But taking it a step further and writing them in Portuguese too is an excellent idea to open up my arsenal to the general Brasilian public! I need to start studying my Brasilian cookbooks and learn more of the technical cooking vocabulary now.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Did you ever work at Krispy Kreme? Those look great! :)

I haven't missed doughnuts too much, but I have missed bagels like crazy even though I didn't eat them that often. It is just that issue of not being able to get them.

Google is my best friend when it comes translating recipes. Joy of Cooking helps a lot too. I've translated many Brazilian measurements into English and my own into Brazilian measurements for friends here. It isn't so difficult at all.

Sounds like a cool project!

Rogério Penna said...

Lori, Ive never seen bagels in Brazil, but Pretzels are not uncommon, at least around Porto Alegre. There is this chain called Mr. Pretzel...

Btw, the bagel picture on Wikipedia looks exactly like Emily´s Doughnuts.

Lori - Blondie in Brazil said...

Thanks, aces. I'll have to keep my eye out for the pretzels. I love those too!